- 1. Categories of personal information collected and methods of collection
- 2. Purpose of collecting and use of personal information
- 3. Period of retention and use of personal information
- 4. Sharing and providing of personal Information
- 5. Method and procedure of destruction of personal information
- 6. Rights of the Members and method of exercise
- 7. Matters related to children
- 8. Matters concerning the installation/operation of cookies and the refusal to cookies collection
- 9. Cross-border data transfer
- 10. Technical/administrative measures related to personal information protection
- 11. Questions and comments
1. Categories of personal information collected and methods of collection
Cafe24 collects personal information related to its services in various methods.
- (1) Categories of personal information collected
- ① Cafe24 collects the following personal information for account registration, service application, and customer consultation.
Note that the Cafe24 also allows users to register a Cafe24 account by linking an account they created for a social networking platform (e.g., Facebook, Google, etc.). In this case, the e-mail address used for the social media account will be referred to Cafe24, with the users’ consent. While other service providers might announce that additional information, such as the user's public profile, is collected when linking a social media account, Cafe24 does not collect such additional information.
- a. When joining as the Member
Account name, Password, Email address, Country of business
- b. When setting up your store
Online store name, Name of the Business owner, email address for the online store, Phone number, Business address, Mobile phone number
- c. When applying for specific services
Company information (company name, name of the representative’s director and gender, business address / phone number / fax number / email address, website address, online store name, online store URL, business type and business item), manager-related information (manager name, date of birth, gender, address, Email address, phone number, fax number, mobile number), and other items required by the relevant service (e.g., verification details when syncing information via Market Plus, Google Play Developer or Apple Developer account details when creating an app with Plus App, etc.).
- d. When inquiring through our chatbot
Company name, store account name, E-mail address
- ② The following information may be generated and collected in the process of using the service or conducting the business.
Service usage record, access log, cookies, access IP information, payment record, usage discontinue record, a record of misuse
- (2) Personal information collection method
Cafe24 collects personal information by the following methods.
- - The Members’ submission of their personal information through the website or written form to the Company for creating account.
- - Customer consultation and service use management through phone, email and/or chatbot conversations
- - Event (Giveaway) application, delivery request
- - referral from affiliates
- - Collection through information collection tool
2. Purpose of collecting and use of personal information
Cafe24 uses the collected personal information for the following purposes.
- (1) Management of the Members
Identity verification, personal identification, prevention of unauthorized use, confirmation of subscription, restriction on the number of subscriptions, record keeping for dispute settlement responding to a complaint, and sending a notification.
- (2) Enforcement of service contract provisions and calculating fees for service
Providing services and content, shipping goods or issuing invoices, verifying identity, purchasing and paying bills, collecting fees
- (3) New service development, marketing, and advertising
Development and specialization of new services (products), provision and advertisement of services according to demographic characteristics, calculation of access frequency, statistics on the Members' service use, and delivery of advertising information such as events.
3. Period of retention and use of personal information
As a standard practice, information collected is destroyed without delay after the personal information is used for its purpose. However, the following information shall be retained for the period specified for the reasons detailed below.
- (1) Reasons for information retention under Cafe24's internal policy
Even if the Members deletes his/her account, Cafe24 shall keep the Members’ information for the following reasons for its reliable provision of services and to prevent the fraudulent use of the services.
- ① Record of fraudulent/misuse (including personal information of the persons misusing the information)
- - Reason for retention: Prevention of fraudulent and misuse of the service and prevention of rejoining of fraudulent/misused member
- - Retention period: 1 year
- ② Reasons for retention of information pursuant to relevant laws
If it is necessary to preserve/retain according to the relevant laws and regulations, Cafe24 shall keep the Members’ information for a certain period of time.
4. Sharing and providing of personal Information
- (2) However, in the following cases, Cafe24 may share or provide personal information to a third party:
- ① If the Member agrees in advance for sharing or providing his or her personal information to a third party
- ② When there is a request from an governmental agency in accordance with laws or regulations, or for the purpose of investigation, under the procedures and methods prescribed by the law, such as the Personal Information Protection Act
- ③ When cooperation with Cafe24's subsidiaries or other trusted partners is required to facilitate the service, including customer service and handling of complaints
5. Method and procedure of destruction of personal information
Cafe24 shall destroy the information without undue delay after the purpose of collection or usage is fulfilled.
Destruction procedures and methods are as follows:
- (1) Destruction and separate storage procedures
- ① The information entered by the Members when registering an account is transferred to a separate DB (database) or section (a separate storage space within the database) and is achieved and stored separately (in case of paper, in a separate cabinet). The information is retained and destroyed after a certain period of time depending on the reason for the information retention (see retention and usage period) according to internal policy and other related laws.
- ② Personal information transferred to a separate DB or section will not be used for any purpose other than the reason for retention, unless required by the law.
- (2) Destruction method
- ① Personal information printed on paper is destroyed by shredding or incineration.
- ② Personal information stored in the form of an electronic file is deleted using a method that cannot revive the record.
- (3) Destruction of personal information of Members not in use
If there is no service access and login history for more than 180 days, the account may be disabled. Data such as the Member’s information of the user account, usage record of additional services, the Member information of the online store, etc. will be kept separately, and the stored data will be deleted after a certain period of storage according to the internal policy and other related laws.
6. Rights of the Members and method of exercise
- (1) Members may exercise the rights described below in relation to the personal information processed by Cafe24. Cafe24 shall not discriminate Members for their exercising of these rights.
- ① Members may, at any time, view their registered personal information at any time, or request a copy of their personal information to be produced to Members. Members may also request to delete their personal information.
- ② Members may request to correct any error or misrepresentation regarding personal information. In this case, the personal information will not be used or provided until the correction is made. In addition, if incorrect personal information has already been provided to a third party, Cafe24 will promptly notify the third party of the correction.
- ③ Members may restrict the process or usage of their personal information. Except in certain cases, when requested, Cafe24 shall only store the personal information and not use or share with a third party.
- ④ At any time, Members may object to the processing of their personal information if it is directly used for marketing purposes. Members may still object to the processing of their personal information based on their special circumstances, even if the personal information is being processed for the legitimate interest of Cafe24 or a third party, or for public policy. In this case, we will stop processing Members’ personal information, unless we have a justifiable ground that outweighs the interests, rights and liberty of the Members or processing of the Members’ personal information is necessary to prove or exercise Cafe24’s legal rights, or defense against statutory claims.
- (2) Members may click "Update profile" to directly view or edit personal information and click "Delete account" to delete their personal information.
- (3) Members may also directly contact Cafe24 in relation to these actions in writing, by phone, or through email, and Cafe24 will process Members’ request without undue delay. When we receive such request, we may ask for additional information to confirm the identity of the Member.
- (4) If Members have a complaint against Cafe24’s processing of their personal information, Members may contact us to resolve the issue. Members may also file a complaint with the relevant supervisory authorities.
7. Matters related to children
- (1) Cafe24 does not provide the services or the platform to a minor (the definition of a minor may vary under the laws of each country).
- (2) Cafe24 will not intentionally collect or store personal information of minors on the platform or other services.
8. Matters concerning the installation/operation of cookies and the refusal to cookies collection
Cafe24 uses the 'cookies' and frequently store and retrieve the Member's information in order to provide the Members with customized services. The cookies are small text files that are sent to your browser by the server used to run Cafe24's website and are stored on your computer's hard disk. The Member’s computer may be identified but not the identity of the Member.
- (1) Cookies used
- ① First-party cookies: Cookies that are installed by the operators of websites users have visited.
- ② Third-party cookies: Cookies that are installed by third parties, such as advertisers or analytics systems.
- (2) Usage by cookie type
- ① Required cookies: These cookies are required to provide essential service functions, such as website navigation, security functions and login, and ID search. These cookies must absolutely be activated since users will not be able to access or navigate websites when they are deactivated and services cannot be provided or operated.
- ② Functionality cookies: These cookies help websites remember settings selected by users so that they can provide a customized environment to users and offer functions that help with the service. When disabled, some functions may not work properly.
- ③ Statistics cookies: Also known as “performance cookies”, these cookies collect information about how users use a website, such as which pages they visited and which links they clicked, to help improve website functions.
- (3) How to refuse the use of the cookies
- - How to change the related settings
- ① For Internet Explorer: Tools menu at the top of the web browser > Internet Options > Privacy > Advanced
- ② For Chrome: “Settings” menu in the top right corner of the web browser > Privacy and security > Cookies and other site data
- ③ For Safari: Run Safari > “Safari” menu in the Mac OS top navigation bar > Preferences > Privacy
- (4) Guide on third-party cookies
Cafe24 uses third-party cookies as statistic cookies on its website. The information generated by cookies in relation to your use of the website is transmitted and stored on the servers of the relevant providers.
- (5) Cookie retention period
The length of the retention period for cookies stored on a computer or a mobile device will be depended on whether it is session cookies or permanent cookies.
Session cookies are generally deleted once users close the browser. Permanent cookies, however, remain on devices even once the browser is closed and will remain there until their expiration date or until they are manually deleted.
Cafe24 mostly uses session cookies. Though some required/functionality cookies that remember general user preferences after consecutive visits, such as login methods or language and country settings, may be saved for a specific period of time (up to 30 days).
9. Cross-border data transfer
The Members’ personal information may be stored and processed in the country where Cafe24's facilities are located. By using this website, the user consents to the transmission of information outside your country of residence. Cafe24 will take appropriate steps to protect the Members’ privacy in accordance with applicable laws, but data protection and other laws in the countries where the user’s information may be transferred may differ.
- - For Members living in the European Union:
Cafe24 is based in the Republic of Korea, which is considered by the European Commission to essentially offer the same level of privacy protection as EU laws.
We may transfer the Members’ personal information to companies affiliated to Cafe24 and other third parties that process personal information on our behalf. We will take appropriate measures to protect this personal information in accordance with applicable laws.
10. Technical/administrative measures related to personal information protection
- (1) The Member's personal information is primarily protected by the Member's account name and password, and Cafe24 shall ensure that personal information is not disclosed, tampered with or damaged in processing the Member's personal information in order to ensure safety. The following technical and administrative measures are in place.
- ① Technical measures
- a. The password for the Member account is stored encrypted so the user is the only one who has access to the information. Therefore, the person who is aware of the account name and password may check and correct the personal information that requires an account login.
- b. Cafe24 backs up its data from time to time in preparation for the loss of personal information and uses the latest antivirus program to prevent the Members' personal information or data from being leaked or damaged by computer viruses.
- c. Cafe24 employs security measures to securely transmit personal information over the network in case of incidences such as making payments.
- d. Cafe24 uses intrusion prevention system (firewall) to control unauthorized access from outside to prevent the leakage of information by hacking, etc., and strives to equip all possible technical devices to secure systemic security.
- ② Administrative measures
- a. When Cafe24 handles personal information for any reasons, such as by requesting the password of the Member, we shall exert our best effort to verify the Member and ensure that the information is processed safely.
- (2) In addition to Cafe24's efforts described above, the Member shall use caution not to expose his / her personal information such as his or her account name and password on the Internet or to others. Cafe24 shall not be responsible for any personal information such as account name and password leaked due to the negligence or neglect of the Member.
- (3) Therefore, the Member's account name and password should be used only by the user, and it is recommended to change the password frequently, and the password should be a combination of letters and numbers that is difficult for others to predict.
- (4) It is also recommended to log out and close the web browser after using the service. In particular, if the computer is shared with others or used it in a public place, this process is necessary for the security of one’s personal information.
You are welcome to contact us for any privacy complaints arising out of your use of Cafe24's services. Cafe24 will promptly and fully respond to the Member's inquiries.
- - E-mail : email@example.com
Contact information for users in the Philippines:
- - E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact information for users in Vietnam:
- - Phone : 028-3939-0181
- - E-mail: email@example.com
Contact information for users in India:
- - E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If we determine that an amendment is particularly important, we will notify you of the update with a notice.
Effective Date: June 22, 2022